Pages

Friday 16 September 2011

Mallorca, Majorca or whatever you like to call it...



(Our pics, otherwise known as other peoples fascinating boring holiday snaps. Aren't you glad I spared you all 500?)

Well here we are again, back in dear old Blighty after a very hot two weeks in Mallorca.

We try to go every year; for us it's not just a family holiday as much as a family visiting holiday. My father (and his parents) are from the little magic island and although that probably makes me biased I truly love the place!

If you've never been, you've probably heard (and read) horror stories about 'that dreadful Magalluf' place and hoardes of drunken, half naked teenagers doing unmentionables on the beach? I can't deny they happen of course, the poor Mallorcan police and locals would tell you otherwise. But it's worth taking a closer look at this tiny place to find the magic it has to offer.

Hundreds of small beaches or Calas, crystal clear water, nature reserves, very friendly people (as long as you don't shout loudly at them in English. Hmm, yes people still do that.) Archeological Talyot villages and boat trips to Islands with no inhabitants other than small lizards.

I love Valldemossa; the place where Chopin and his girlfriend George Sands came to stay. It is car free and one of the loveliest places to visit as long as you have a strong stomach for the windy roads.




Being a huge fan of Chopin it's an absolute thrill to see his piano in the Monastery there. He was a favourite composer of my English Grandfather  too so it makes me a bit teary now 'sniff'.  Anyway, moving on!

We spend fourteen blissful days hanging by the pool, eating more wonderful food than is good for us, boat trips plus of course, happy and teary family reunions. The twins also had their fifth Birthday over there and we spent the day at my Fathers house in Buger, swimming, eating, drinking fresh pomegranate juice and knicking his almonds.

I timed our booking to coincide with the Santa Ponsa festival. It's a yearly event, full of activities for everyone. The highlight for us was the 'Nit de Foc' or Night of Fire. Yes, it's as mad as it sounds and the public are advised to wear non flammable clothing... Locals dress up as fire devils and dance with fireworks.

That's it. No barriers; nada.




They also shake what sounds like cowbells and chase small children, great fun!

Of course for me, my holiday isn't complete without several of these.


and some long overdue family hugs.



My boys & twins with their Great Uncle & Aunt
The boys & my Father
 
The girls & their Great Aunt

The island is very child friendly. You can buy all the usual baby products, some of them are actually better than ours. They have fantastic medical care (great chemists too), especially if you have your E11 card with you and have one of the best new hospitals in Europe; in case those sorts of things worry you. Let's face it, as parents they usually do! I think my next post will be about travelling with small babies on aeroplanes? Just in case anyone would like any pointers.

Hope you all had fab holidays too!

Am off to try and finish a disgusting amount of laundry now...


Love,
http://www.wikio.co.uk

1 comment:

Comments always make my day!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin