Pages

Tuesday 26 July 2011

The Gallery: Vintage

When I saw the theme for this weeks Gallery I got just a little bit excited. Not that I have a passion for Vintage or anything like that you understand.
I took lots of photos of my treasures and thought about this post for quite a while. Then tonight, when I sat down to write it I decided to make it about someone rather marvellous instead. Something much more precious than any piece of china or glass. Even more thrilling than a steal of a flea market find.

My Grandfather.


Here he is, in the middle with his splendid quiff; just joined up to the Army in 1939. His wartime career didn't get off to a particularly spectacular start. Fairly normal, thoroughly nice young chap signed up to do his duty with the Staffordshire Regiment, where he soon became a Staff Sergeant. 

A few years later he was sent to London on 'important' business. My Grandmother says that he didn't really tell her an awful lot about it, she just got invited down there to have lunch at the Ritz with him and some other nice fellows. He was stationed at Grosvenor Square and was to form part of the S.H.A.E.F. In 1944, General Eisenhower moved the operation to Camp Griffiss, Bushy Park and my Grandfather went with them.
It was from here that 'Operation Overlord' a.k.a the D.Day landings were planned.

From his military records we know that sometime after the move my Grandfather was sent (read dropped) in an intelligence capacity into Belgium. My Grandmother also has a painted piece of the Ardennes Forest that he bought for her during this time. The records suggest that he was instrumental in 'some' sort of spying and transmitting.
Whatever he did, he survived and in 1945 we know that he was working for a Brigadier in Holland as he sent my Grandmother two postcards.



He also sent her a business card from a hairdressers telling her that he had a haircut 'just here', so sweet.

He returned safely in 1946 and the rest as they say, is history.
He never told anyone what he did. As well as his British service medals he was also awarded the American Bronze Star Medal
for a person who 'distinguishes, or has distinguished, himself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service,'
Amongst his paperwork sent by the M.O.D was correspondence that he had dealt with including this which I think you will agree is rather special!




Of course I would love to know exactly what he had done and what part he played in ending the War but he took the secret with him when he passed away in 2001. The man I knew was a quiet, generous, kind and gentle soul. An utter gentleman who wore his sports jacket and tie to dig the garden.
Fearless and brave with the best jellies in his pocket and always, always knew exactly where to find the dockleaves when you fell in nettles. We were Pooh and Christopher Robin, best friends and always together. The very best Grandad a little girl could have.



As always, there have been some beautiful posts and pictures on The Gallery for this topic, pop over and have a read!

Love,
http://www.wikio.co.uk

4 comments:

  1. This is lovely! wrote from the heart as it touched me! your grandad sounded lovely!! my great grandad went into the army and could have been the same regiment as he was from cheshire! I will ask my grandad! Can i ask where you got the theme for this weeks gallery xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! He was absolutely lovely :) He was stationed up in Chester at the Castle when he first signed up so I don't know if they were together there?
    The Gallery is run by Tara over at Sticky Fingers. If you click the coffee cup under the post it should take you straight there. It starts on a Wednesday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember Chester but I know he went away and didnt like to talk about it! Brave Men, and Brave Women who waited at home for them! Such a different Life! I love all the old Photographs :)
    Thank You! Will have a look xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make my day!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin